Thursday, February 9, 2012

Philosophy as clarity

Oscar Brenifier has an interesting approach to philosophy and its practice. One of his basic tenets is that philosophy is about creating concepts; an idea he connects to Deleuze. To create concepts we need to think. In order to think we need to be clear. If we have an idea we can put words to it; a useful thought can be put in one sentence or one word. If you are unable to formulate your thoughts clearly your thoughts are confused. If you think you understand something but are unable to say it, find words for it, you have not understood it. Thinking is difficult so people avoid it as hard as they can, hiding behind feelings, authority and whatnot.

And taking it further; thinking demands that you abandon your self, that you die and move into the sphere of thinking. This actually works and working in this manner gives interesting and weird moments of clarity.

My next step will be to revisit philosophy texts with this methodology and idea in mind.


2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I found your site but I'm glad I did. I like to think and learn. I have never heard of Brenifier or Deleuze but am looking forward to reading about them. Not sure I get the part about needing to die before you can move on into the sphere of thinking. Isn't abandon your self enough, isn't that dying, in a way? Or maybe that's what you mean?
    My Twitter stream is populated by book lovers and reviewers so your site is a very welcome change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this 'dying' business is being a bit dramatic - it is a concept OB gets from Socrates, but mostly from Buddhism. I'm convinced that getting rid of the ego and its striving is a very important part of clear rational thinking - but I'm sure Brenifier is a bit of an extremist and I wonder if total death of ego isn't unrealistic and would render life rather bleak... Another important question is the one about OB's own ego, because in his methodology the moderator remains unchallenged...

    ReplyDelete