Sunday, January 15, 2012

Role Playing Games

Well, after a long time of preparation I played my first round of Dungeons and Dragons as an adult, and my first real round ever, to be fair. This is kind of surprising given my nerdy tendencies and affection for fantasy and sf. What I really find interesting about RPG's on a wider pedagogical and experiential level is my amazement as to why this concept has not gained a wider following. It seems to me that this combination of games, drama, creativity and socialization has potential to compete with theatre, art galleries, novel reading, video games and poetry recitings (though I also wonder why those are not more common). Furthermore, it seems that the possibilities that lie in adapting this format to teaching are endless. The popularization of 'gamification' in marketing and such has mostly been linked to adapting the format of video games to online experience (according to my limited research) - but it seems to me that applying RPG mechanics, puzzle solving and dice rolling to the class room setting offers a lot of enticing possibilities....

My next experience will be with another form of RPG (not DnD), but 'story telling' for a horror game....

No comments:

Post a Comment