Wednesday, January 25, 2012

First Dungeon Master experience!

I had a DnD session with my ten year old daughter and her friend club - two boys and one girl, four altogether. I mixed up a few readymade characters I found online and two stories. I had a problem because I mismatched the characters and the monsters, the characters were way to strong for the monsters. I am a firm believer in learning by doing and from experience and didn't spend too much time preparing. Next time I think I'm going to try creating my own story, monsters and characters and then presenting it in Icelandic, and simplify the format.... possibly I'll try buying a readymade adventure in DnD or some other format and sticking to that.

I find the details involved in DnD kind of daunting, but, I find the basic idea immensely fascinating and I am firm in my resolve to apply these methods in my teaching. Later this term I'm teaching To Kill a Mockingbird and I'm going to experiment with a simple RPG in connection with that, I'm not quite sure how but it'll come to me. Furthermore I plan on offering an elective next term devoted to the concept - more on that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment