Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Creativity & engagement: giving students a choice....

I'm starting up my philosophy elective course this week. I use a textbook that is actually coauthored by me, Heimspeki fyrir þig (Philosophy for you) - I have all sorts of interesting projects that fill the semester, but an innovation I'm going to try this time around is to allow the students to choose the chapters that we'll deal with - the book has 12 and we'll cover 5-6. They then have to scan it and make the case for the chapters they like. I hope this will be interesting and I'll allow you to follow the progress here on the blog! Another project I've got cooking is orangising RPG's for teachers, like Dungeons and Dragons, with an eye to incorporating those kinds of games into my repertoire of teaching tools. I'm developing an idea on teaching as an art and so this kind of activity is like a painter trying a new kind of brush or you know.....

No comments:

Post a Comment