Friday, April 6, 2012

Democratic Schools and incidental learning

I've recently been unschooling myself on unschooling, and particularly been watching videos and reading stuff on the Sudbury Valley School. A very telling part of the documentary is this piece on 'the sleeping student'. I'm not entirely and in all ways convinced that this is the best way to organise a school, but by golly it's interesting to think about. I find that a student could just as well sleep like this instead of sleeping in a classroom.... I also believe that their idea that most true learning is incidental is an important one, especially in languages and most important life skills - special 'classes' in for example happiness are therefore completely bogus. I find that my learning in life has primarily been incidental, and I think that more time spent on following one's interests and passions would be time well spent.... this is very important to me with the upcoming test period which I find to be an enormous waste of my and students' energy.... more on that later if the great spirit moves me to write on that ....

No comments:

Post a Comment