Thursday, August 4, 2011

Feyerabend

Paul K. Feyerabend

A philosopher who has stayed with me since my teens - I borrowed my uncle's copy of Against Method (I haven't returned it, and I've bought a newer version - making the borrowing a theft?) when I was ca. 17 ... I didn't read it then; and still haven't read all of it; but somehow it is a defining work for me .... I recently read the last three chapters which affected me profoundly. His best work (in my opinion, the only one that counts here) is Three Dialogues on Knowledge; a very deep and entertaining piece. His vision is one that is profoundly informed by a deep respect for human attempts at understanding and living in the world, and contempt for any system of thought that announces itself as the only valid one - and in his time, and ours, the system claiming such a place is Western rationality and Science.
In the Dialogues he says that when you address Being (as a mystic; scientist; artist.... whatever) Being answers. A beautiful idea.
When I was looking for the picture of PKF I came across the Paul K. Feyerabend foundation  and this made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment